Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Drowning mother: 'Please, come help me!'

After finishing her night shift at Sam's Club, Seydi Burciaga walked into her minivan. She was only .3 miles away from her house, but never made it. At 5 a.m. her Nissan Quest was swept off the road by floodwater. The creek is usually three feet wide on the average day. The car was tossed and carried behind some trees and a school. Water was coming into the vehicle quickly. "Please, coe help me," she said. "Please!" The dispatcher used some clues that Seydi was giving him to ocate where she might be. burciaga had lived in the neighbourhood for the past decade, so she was very familiar with area. She was reffered to as the "neighbourhood mom" and would help anyone who needed. "She was a very loving mother, a good wife, a strong woman," said Pedro Burciaga, her husband of 14 years. "She liked helping everyone, and overall she worked very hard. ... She always had a smile for everyone." An hour after the incident began,her car was found more than 300 metres away. She was laying in the back seat of the car when she was found dead. She was a mexican immigrant and her birthday was coming up on November 10. She had a 9 year old son and a 4 year old daughter. Her husband struggled for words. His favorite memory: "Her smile, how she was with my children. She loved them a lot. She gave them lots of love."

The only thing I can say is how badly I feel for Seydi's friends and family. Having a story like this occur is tremendously sad, and makes me feel how lucky I am to have my family still with me. My grandfather died two and a half years and it was very tough to get through it. But having a father or mother of spouse of child would be the worst possible thing. The 911 call was recorded and you could see how frustrated and scared she was. I can't imagine being in a situation that she was in.

2 comments:

Erik Bradford said...

well written ange. This is a sad tell of a loving person who lost their life too soon and didnt deserve to die the way she did. It's extremely un lucky how she died and its tough to swallow. Just trying to imagine that being someone close to you is just terrible people shouldnt die like this , its too bad

Borna Kalantar said...

I also find it terrible that she died. It seems that she was a very nice person. However, I do not think it is good that the 911 call was recorded because imagine if you were the husband or any of the kids and you heard the call.